Sunday, April 5, 2009

Heavy Breathing and The 30 Week Bump

C. and I had our intensive, two-day Lamaze course this weekend, and after class wrapped today, C. announced he has now had his fill of naked pregnant women (videos) for many years to come. I second that sentiment! The course was taught by a former labor and delivery nurse who also holds certifications as a lactation consultant and a Doula. She was fantastic. I felt she presented a great, unbiased overview of the entire labor and delivery process. She was very mommy-centric and stressed that we need to research and communicate what WE want our birth experience to be like and what we need from our care providers. Being a former L & D nurse, she had lots of great stories about each of the scenarios she presented.

Unfortunately, we had to duck out of class a bit early on Sunday because I had another "incident" with my coughing and a little "pop" to my ribs. Youchie. I'm SO ready for this cough to be G-O-N-E! I will most certainly be addressing this rib fracture situation with my OB at Wednesday's appointment. Agenda item number 23 added to my list of questions...check!

Overall, I'm really glad we took the time out of our schedule (ALL WEEKEND!) to attend the class. I think C. even learned some new terminology. (He had no idea what the peri.neum was.) Now if only I could have an additional two days off to get caught-up on errands and house work...

I had my first official fall of pregnancy on Thursday night. Ugh. It happened as I was leaving my sister's house with a bag hanging on my arm and a plate of food in my hands. As I attempted to s-l-o-w-ly step over a big puddle of water at the end of their driveway and place my foot onto the "dry" street on the other side, I was unaware that the road surface was equivalent to that of a newly frozen pond.

All I remember was the following scene in slow motion: Plate of food flying into air. Said food plopping into puddle at the end of the driveway. Dish clanging onto the pavement. Catching myself mid-puddle with my hands and my left hip. Sister running out of the house closely followed by 2 1/2 year-old nephew crying "Are you OK? Auntie Mel? Are you OK?" Thankfully, I managed to escape with just some minor road rash on my hands. But you'd better believe I was dopp.lering baby boy as soon as I got home! Was I silly not to call the doctor after falling? I guess I'm just so used to falling down (have the scars on my bionic ankle and chin to prove it) that I didn't even think twice. I will certainly be mentioning the mishap to Dr. OB on Wednesday. Agenda item number 24...check!

And I figured it was time for a bump update...so here I am...in all my bumpiness at 30 weeks and 1 day.

9 comments:

Beautiful Mess said...

OMG! You are SO cute pregnant! I'm SO jealous. I look like I got hit by a truck or something when I'm pregnant. My body does NOT agree with it at all! I don't think it's bad that you didn't call your OB after your fall. If you didn't have any cramping or bleeding, I'm sure you're golden! But definitely check it out with your OB. You might get a different opinion as I'm not a doctor. Sad, your food ended up in the puddle. Were you more mad about that then falling? I would have been, pregnant or not ;o) Glad you had a good time at your class, lots of information to take in, huh? Feel better SOON, hon! Thanks for the comment on my blog. I liked the bedding until it unraveled in the wash..grrr. I seriously looked like an idiot when taking the picture of the tractor...lol Oh well, life is suppose to be fun, right?
*HUGS* and PLEASE take care!

I Believe in Miracles said...

You are super cute lady!! I love that you have a huge list to ask the OB, I need to start writing my questions down... but so far, don't have a whole lot. Be careful about falling - that whole weight thing is throwing you more off than usual so the bionic woman that you are might need to be even more careful, ok?

~~HUGS~~

Megs said...

Yay! Love to see the pictures!! And how cute are you?? :) Just be a little bit more careful, alrighty?? Glad to see you are doing alright!

J Sweet said...

You look cute!
I wouldn't worry about falling down. Said as another clumsy person - I fell completely onto the sidewalk walking into my office building for no reason at all , no ice :). I can't believe you are 30 weeks!!!

Beckini said...

I fell when I was 6 months pregnant on ice when out for a walk. I fell completely on my side (the snow that stuck to my body and head were evidence of where I hit) and cried the entire 1 mile walk due to fear that I'd hurt the baby. I did call and they said that if I wasn't feeling cramping and if there was no bleeding, then it should be fine. So, I'm sure you're OK. They reassured me that baby is very well protected in there. But, the visual of the food flying and your sister running out does make for a good laugh. :) Glad you're OK and I hope the house can get back to a functional state again! Take care!

Anonymous said...

Awe what a cute baby belly! Glad you're ok after the fall, stuff like that is scary. Hopefully your coughing will calm down so your poor ribs will heal soon. It sounds painful!

Courtney said...

Mel, you look amazing. I am so sorry to hear about your fall, it's crazy how scary it is for an adult (or pregnant adult!) to fall, but in a few short months, baby boy will be taking falls like a champ! Can you imagine when he starts walking?
Okay, I'm jumping way too far in the future, but I am glad you're doing well and not too drowned out from all those storms!
Keep us updated!

sara said...

You look wonderful! You had me all worried when you said you had your first fall. I'm just glad you're ok ((hugs))

Beautiful Mess said...

Re your comment on my blog: My husband said almost the SAME thing when I was put on pelvic rest. He wasn't so i love with our doctor, but it was worth it, of course. Tell hubby to hang in there. He'll get his in a few years ;o)