Monday, March 30, 2009

The Aftermath

How is a woman supposed to begin nesting when part of her nest now looks like this...?


What started-out as a teeny tiny leak at the baseboard here...


turned into this mess...




I'm calling the new design...flood-minimalist.

Thank you to all who left comments on my previous post. It would appear that our area is out of the danger zone...for now. However, we're now in the middle of a March/April blizzard and expecting 6-12 inches of new snow. We're very thankful that we did NOT have to evacuate our home and only sustained damage to our lower level because of (clean) water seepage. My eagle-eyes caught the seepage quickly enough to move back a big rug and C.'s poker table before any of that sat in the water. I'm trying to put a positive spin on the whole ordeal and consider it as a great opportunity for an impromptu remodel!

There are still many in our community that are displaced from their homes and we've been told by the Nation.al Weather Ser.vice that this area may see another river crest once the newest snowfall melts and farm fields drain towards tributary rivers. It is my hope that we won't have to deal with yet another record crest. I've had enough of plugged-drains (can't do laundry or flush), bottled water and being trapped in our torn-apart house.

In the midst of all the flooding madness (including hospital evaucations), I've been unable to reach anyone with answers at the doctor's office. The best they could do for me at this point was to move my appointment up a few days to Wednesday, April 8th. I also requested to see doctor OB on a day when he's NOT on-call. I hope to lay out all of my concerns with him then. Thanks again to all who weighed-in on my concerns with care...all of the ladies (and guys!) that are a part of this community are so wise. I appreciate you!

4 comments:

Beautiful Mess said...

I'm so glad you're safe! Sorry about your floor though..bummer. Here's hoping that there aren't anymore crests. Sending prayers of thanks and continued safety.

sara said...

I'm glad that hopefully the worst is over...but geez, when it rains it pours! No pun intended of course! I hope your appointment goes well and you are able to get some much deserved answers...((hugs))

Beautiful Mess said...

Mel,
Thank you so much for your comment on my blog. You're so sweet! Just wanted to let you know I appreciate it and it made my day!
HUGS!!

I Believe in Miracles said...

I'm very glad to hear that you're ok!! Sorry about your floor though. What a bummer. It's crazy that you're getting a ton snow at this point...
~~HUGS~~