Friday, March 27, 2009

Sink or Swim

Sometimes it's not such a fun or exciting thing to be the lead story on The Today Show, Good Morning America, CNN and the Weather Channel.

I'm asking for prayer for our community. We're currently facing record-breaking flooding. Humvees and armored vehicles just poured past our house, and a large residential area just one block west of our home is being evacuated. We've been ordered to plug all lower-level floor drains to avoid getting raw sewage backed up into our basement. The college campus that surrounds our neighborhood has issued a campus-wide emergency, shut down electricity and water, and sent its 3000+ students and staff home or away to safer locations. The community's largest hospital evacuated all patients via helicopter and ambulance last night to other hospitals as far as 500 miles away. My bag, my meds and food for Mr. Duke are packed...just in-case.

Please pray.

5 comments:

Megs said...

Wow...sorry to hear this. Hang in there!! I really hope that things get better really soon...

sara said...

I'm so sorry...lots of prayers coming your way. I'm so sorry it took me awhile to write about your last post.

I would say just continue to tell your OB how you feel and what you would like as far as monitoring. Tell him or her that you would like to be seen by a peri if you feel that would be helpful. Uterine abnormalities usually have at least one weekly or twice weekly NSTs starting at 32 weeks. I think once a week would be okay. If there is any change in your cervical length before 34 weeks..push for steroid shots. They can make a huge difference in not only lung development but also cause decreased risk of brain injury in premature birth as well as advancing liver and kidney development as well. They can also do fetal fibronectin tests if you are having early contractions. Yes...please push for either your OB or a peri to monitor you weekly starting at 28-30 weeks. You have every reason to request this. If you are not getting anywhere with your OB, ask to see on of the peris at the hospital you are delivering at. ALthough this can be a sticky situation because often the peri requires a referral from your OB. Just be assertive...In all actuality, I'm sure that this is overkill. Chances are you will have no complications and deliver a beautiful term baby. But if in your heart you feel more comfortable with more frequent monitoring..then push for it. Push for it like there's no tomorrow. It's your mommy instinct and go with it...((hugs))

Beautiful Mess said...

Many thoughts and prayers from me to you. Please let us know how you are as soon as you can.
*HUGS*

Heather said...

Praying for you. Keep us updated. Hope all is well

Anonymous said...

How scary Mel!! I hope the flooding is subsiding as I type this. You are in my thoughts!!