Monday, January 19, 2009

Weekend Baby Mama Drama

It was finally back to work for me today...even after another round of major stomach upset and vomiting last night. The only connection that I've been able to make between my yuckiest bouts of illness over the past week has been eating a corn-based product. Last Sunday night, it started with baked corn tortillas at supper...followed by violent tummy ache and vomiting. Wednesday, it was another corn-based product. And finally, just last night, after eating somewhat "normal" foods for lunch, I noshed on a couple corn tortilla chips and suffered the consequences. I'm not sure if it's a complete coincidence, but you can bet I'll be avoiding corn and corn-based products for quite awhile! Do you think it's possible to develop allergies to specific foods during pregnancy?

And now for the drama...

Short version of this weekend's events:

We had a VERY eventful Saturday night that included an emergency trip to Labor and Delivery.

Long version of this weekend's events:

Saturday afternoon, I decided that I had had my fill of being stuck in the house, so I ventured out for a walk with Duke and C. It wasn't anything strenuous or taxing, and it felt wonderful to get outside and take in some much-needed fresh air. With the temperature nearing 30 degrees, it almost felt like summer! After returning home, I felt so good, I decided I'd do my prenatal yoga video, which I've only done one other time during this pregnancy. I've been very wary to engage in any type of exercise (beyond walking) because I always had spotting/cramping when I'd work out during the pregnancy I lost in May. I figured, I feel so good! It's only yoga! Bad choice.

After a great 40 minute yoga session, I stripped down to shower and discovered blood in my undies. I think my exact words were: "You've got to be kidding me, God." I immediately ran for my Dopp.ler and found baby Pat's heart rate. Thumping along at a strong 152 bpm. By this point I was sobbing and called for C. to join me upstairs. He encouraged me to call the nurse who immediately connected me with the OB on-call at our hospital. After laying out a few scenarios that could be causing the bleeding, she left it up to me whether or not I wanted to come in for a check. I knew that C. and I would never be able to sleep if we stayed home, so it was off to the ER we went. I don't think we spoke at all on the 15 minute drive to the hospital.

We arrived at the ER where I was shuffled into a wheelchair and promptly brought up to labor and delivery. They hooked me up to a monitor, took all my vitals, and checked baby Pat's heart rate. Still strong. After about a 2 hour wait, the ultrasound tech wheeled in her cart and started her scan. She had the screen to the side where I couldn't see what she was looking at, but the smile on C.'s face spoke volumes and the kicks I felt when she placed pressure on my belly were absolutely beautiful. She even said, "Oh no! I think I've angered the child!" Baby was more active that I've ever felt before. She said my cervix looked long, that my placenta was high and far away from my cervix and that she didn't see any abnormal pockets of blood or fluid. Final diagnosis, unexplained bleeding.

Before she wrapped-up her scan, C. mentioned that we didn't yet know the baby's gender, to which she replied that she hadn't even ventured down in that direction yet, but would see if baby was cooperating. And cooperating HE was! There HE was, spread-eagle, in all HIS glory...sticking out his business for all to see. It was very clearly our little boy's man parts. The tech said: "Wow! He's sure not shy, is he?" So there you have it. We're going to have a little boy.

Before we could completely absorb the news, another nurse entered to do a manual check of my cervix...unsuccessfully. I swear the woman had her man-hands up to my tonsils. She sent in another nurse to do a check. She tilted the bed so far back, I thought I was going to slide off onto my head! But after a little rough-housing, she found it and said it felt fine. Three and a half hours after our arrival, we were then given discharge papers and sent on our merry way. No visit by the doc?! Really? But I guess at that point, we were too excited to even care. I'm going to be the mommy of a little boy. Amazing.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

A boy!!! I am so damn excited for you!!! Scary circumstances in which to find out, but a thrill no less. I'm sure it will take a little while to sink in!

I know the scary L&D visit scenario-- and I know how terrified you must have been. I hope the spotting has gone away by now.

Big hugs, mama!!

I Believe in Miracles said...

Oh what a scary visit!! But congrats MAMA!!! What great news. It's amazing how God uses different circumstances for good. :o)

Just Believing said...

Just found your blog through fellow IF'ers congrats so much on your baby boy and so glad the visit to ER everything was ok! Prayers and blessings to you!

www.wondrafulbaby.blogspot.com

J Sweet said...

Glad the scare was just that, a scare.
Yay baby boy! How wonderful. Duke's going to have a little bro ;)!!!!!!!

G$ said...

Sorry for the scare, but yay! for the boy :) Glad you are doing well

Anonymous said...

What a weekend! Congratulations about your baby boy. I'm so glad you and he are ok--and stay away from that corn!

sara said...

A boy that is great news! I am so sorry however that you had to go through that stress. May it be the last of it and only smooth sailing ahead! ((hugs))

Heather said...

I hope the unexpected bleeding has all gone away. I had that mysteriously happen too, but I was still in the care of the reproductive doctor, so I went to see him instead of the ER. I was cleaning. That'll teach us to exercise and clean!!!

Congrats on the boy!!!

CG said...

Congrats on the BOY news. I hope the bleeding has stopped and I guess no more yoga for you.