Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Dude

As you may have read yesterday, we got to sneak another peek at "The Dude" (C.'s new nickname for baby Pat) at our 20 week comprehensive ultrasound. I'm happy to report that baby boy's measurements (head, femur, torso, heart) are all right on-track and that he's in the 76th percentile for weight based upon his gestational age. Yeah! Grow little guy, grow! He proudly displayed his little boy parts again as you can see from the profile pic I've posted below, so there's no doubt we're having a little fella! He seemed very comfortable with his hands near his face and even plopped his thumb in his mouth on a couple of different occasions. He had the hiccups and we watched in amazement as his jaw opened and closed and he gulped some of the amniotic fluid. He stretched-out his cute little legs as if trying to remodel my uniquely-shaped uterus to better match his needs. The 4-dimensional photos were great too. (Even though some of them kind of made him look like an alien.)

Boy parts peeking out between legs and The Dude sucking his thumb.

I found out that I have a couple of uterine fibroids, which I guess are pretty common in pregnant women? Who knew?! The doc said they only measured 1 and 2 cm's and didn't seem concerned by them at all. Has anyone else dealt with fibroids during pregnancy...or just uterine fibroids in general?

I'm happy to report there's been no more bleeding or spotting since the yoga "incident" two weekends ago. I mentioned it to the doctor and he immediately asked about any "recent history of intercourse" and C. was quick to respond that there hasn't even been any "not-so-recent history of intercourse." The doctor reiterated that I'm more prone to bleeding and spotting because of the Hep.arin and also because the left horn of my uterus...where there's no baby, but still an endometrial lining...may slough cells. It was basically one of those "it could have been anything" responses. I am just glad the spotting is done.

My next appointment in 4 weeks will include the 1 hour glucose tolerance test. I've heard horror stories about the liquid I'll have to drink. But I'm happy that I'll be doing it pretty early-on (test is usually done between 24 and 28 weeks) before The Dude has taken up more of my torso and squished my stomach even closer to my throat!

Finally, I want to send-out some love to my fellow blogger buddies This One (there is hope girlie!) and Nity (God is faithful!) on their fantastic news! 2009 is going to be the year of the baby for my fellow IF'ers. I just know it.

4 comments:

J Sweet said...

Thanks for the shout out.

Your babe is going to big! Are you ready to birth a 9 pounder ;)? He also seemed quite proud to display his parts, how boy like of him !

Congrats on the amazing ultrasound.

Beckini said...

So happy for you! I was so worried about the drink, too, but honestly, it just tasted like flat orange soda. It was absolutely nothing to get worked up about in my opinion. I was way more worried than necessary. You'll be great!

I Believe in Miracles said...

Thanks for the shout out! You're so sweet. I love the pictures of the DUDE. Awesome. And glad to hear you're no longer spotting.
~~HUGS~~

sara said...

That is one gorgeous looking baby already! Thanks for the super sweet comments as always. Brynn and I are both bulking up, LOL! I hope your glucose test goes really well. The stuff is icky, but not actually as bad as I thought it would be :-) ((Hugs))