Sunday, January 11, 2009

New Year...New Life


I have to start by wishing everyone a very Happy New Year! Our wild and crazy New Year's Eve consisted of yummy dinner and college football with family, a glass of sparkling cider and a simple kiss (from hubby and puppy...of course!) at midnight. C. said it's official...we're totally old.

I'm overjoyed to report that morning sickness symptoms are almost completely gone, but in its place there's heartburn and headaches! But I'll take heartburn any day over the constant sensation of needing to hurl. I still marvel when I realize that we've already made it through 17 weeks of pregnancy. With the start of week 18, I've also been feeling the "butterflies" of movement that I've dreamt about experiencing since the start of this journey. It's still very subtle, but undeniable, that someone in there is kicking and squirming...maybe even dancing? There is NO disputing that new life is growing inside me. It's crazy and amazing all at the same time! We still regularly listen to baby Pat's heart beat with the Doppler, and it's settled in to the 150-155 range for the time being. I still get goose bumps every time I hear the swoosh-swoosh of our little guy/girl! I've started to talk to baby Pat more often now too. Don't worry. It's generally in the privacy of my car on the way to or from work...not just randomly at the grocery store or mall. (Can you imagine?!)

T-minus 17 days until we find out if we have a baby she-Pat or a baby he-Pat. I keep dreaming about being late for the appointment or showing up at the wrong clinic. Just last night, I dreamt that the US tech wouldn't let C. come into the room while doing the scan, and then she proceeded to tell me that our baby girl had hip dysplasia?! Random, huh?

Daily Hep.arin shots are still going well, even though I freak out when I have to do the shots on my right side...the side of my uterus where baby P. is nestled. The needles are tiny, but I still worry about poking too deep or in the wrong spot. I can only imagine that I'm going to be even more paranoid as my belly expands and the skin I can pinch becomes less and less. Any tips or advice from my fellow Lov.enox/Hep.arin users?

Finally, I have to give a shout-out to my little sister! She started a blog of her very own, which you can find here. She's posted some great pictures of my adorable nephews. Go check it out and leave a comment if you have a chance.

6 comments:

sara said...

Hey girl! happy new years to ya!

Megs said...

Glad to hear you are doing well and had a nice, quiet New Year's. Cant wait to hear your results of a boy/girl! :)

I Believe in Miracles said...

Wow! You're already that close to finding out??? Crazy. Can't wait!!

Heather said...

Congratulations! Feeling the baby move is the best feeling ever!!! Can't wait to hear if it's a he-Pat or a she-Pat!!!!

Anonymous said...

I am SO thrilled you're about to find out the sex!! ANd the movements are the best, aren't they?

Really truly do not worry about poking the baby. Yet. I say that, coming from a 30 week belly that has very little pinchable spots left- you ain't seen nothing yet! But what I do is put the shots in up under my boob area, and all the way on my sides. There's still meat to squeeze there and I don't feel like I'm going right into baby. However, my peri told me that as long as you can pinch an inch not to worry.

I'm switching to hep.arin soon so I may have measuring/administering questions for you soon enough! xox

Beckini said...

17 weeks - woo woo!! That's really really great. So happy for you and you are right, those butterflies are so awesome to feel. I was so nervous, too, about getting to the ultrasound appointment. I swear I drove so slow and cautious that day! Can't wait to hear the gender!! Take care and congrats on the morning sickness slow-down.