Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Tears Over Linguini

Last Sunday, C. and I ventured out on our very first completely baby-centric outing. We hit-up a few furniture stores looking for an upholstered glider rocker recliner...preferably in a neutral color and not covered with microfiber. (Anyone who has pets knows that microfiber holds fur like super glue holds...well...just about anything!) So the great rocker crusade sounds like a pretty simple task, right?! Soooo wrong. We found a grand total of 2 glider rockers and both were upholstered in a lovely light shade of green. I even considered changing the nursery color scheme to work around one of them...but thankfully C. talked me out if it. We've now moved on to glider rocker Plan B.

So after we visited 5 or 6 different stores and only had two packs of tiny hangers and a changing pad to show for it, C. and I decided to visit one of our favorite Italian restaurants. I must preface this story by saying that in the past, I have been lovingly referred to as a pasta-eating-mo-fo. I have a major passion for carbs. It's also VERY unlike me to step out on a limb and try something new once I've found a dish I like, but for some crazy reason, I found myself in an adventurous mood and ordered the chicken marsala. Underneath the price, it said something about adding spinach for an additional 3 dollars. Mmmm...spinach. The menu actually read just like this:

Chicken Marsala

Chicken breast, mushrooms and sweet
“Pellegrino” wine sauce,
with fettuccine 11.99
With sautéed spinach 14.99


Much to my surprise, when my plate arrived with just a pile of raw baby spinach and two chicken breasts, I was SURE the waiter had brought me the wrong thing. C. corrected me and confirmed with the waiter that I had indeed ordered THIS dish. Thanks for backing me up, babe...sheesh. I wasn't satisfied. I stormed across the room, grabbed a menu and like my usual stubborn self, insisted to C. that I should have gotten the linguine with the dish TOO! I wanted to say...I'm eating for TWO here buddy. A slab of chicken and a pile of spinach isn't going to cut it! But instead, my eyes welled up and I started crying. The room was packed. C. was silent. Cue waiter returning to inform me that I was mistaken and that the dish is either served with spinach OR linguine, but he put in an order for some pasta anyhow. By this time, C. is done with his own food and still sitting in silence. Linguine arrives. I begrudgingly eat my chicken and pasta (which was the best part of the meal) and echo C.'s silence with my own. We pay, leave the crowded restaurant and start the drive home...in silence. About half way home, C. blurts out..."I think everyone in that room thought we just broke-up!" To which I answered: "Who cares?! All I wanted was you to back me up on getting my pasta!"

Hello hormones.

So the moral of this story is: NO MENU GLITCH, NO WAITER, NO HUSBAND....NOTHING comes between pregnant Mel and her pasta!

On a much lighter note...We'll be painting the nursery a pale shade of blue this coming weekend to offset the espresso colored crib and dresser that The Dude has in his room. We actually just assembled the crib last week. And by we, I mean I held some of the pieces and made sure C. didn't make any scratches or dents on the soft pine frame while he grunted and groaned about finding the right screw and such. He did a fantastic job. I don't think the crib even sustained one scratch...YET. The super cute "mod star" bedding arrived today and a matching chocolate-colored rug is in-transit. Things are slowly, but surely starting to take shape. It's still all a bit overwhelming. And finally, a preview of what's to come:


10 comments:

sara said...

I can't wait to see photos as you put together the nursery! Yes, you are so right...don't step in between me and pasta anyday. Let alone when I'm pregnant, LOL!

Heather said...

I would've thought the one for more money was adding spinach with the pasta too. And considering how much these babies like pasta, I would've fought for my pasta too!

Can't wait to see the nursery setup. DH and I need to start working on a color scheme for the nursery now that we know they are both boys. DH is not crazy about blue on walls (he always thinks it looks too grey) so I'm letting him be in charge of wall colors.

Erin said...

Here from ICLW. What a beautiful nursery. I am expecting as well and have had many recent breakdowns that the hormones have cost. Almost all of them about random stuff.

I see below you are on hep. Me too, I use a pump because I am on high dose due to a DVT. I get to stay on mine 4 months post partum. Fun times.

Good Luck with your pregnancy.

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh about the pasta story. But I admit, I too would have expected pasta AND spinach with the chicken. I understand completely about the crying thing. I broke down and threw a fit to DH the other day because Blogger was being a pain in the butt when I was trying to post multiple pics. Dang hormones!

Can't wait to see your nursery all finished!

Amy said...

I love the bedding and the crib! Good luck with the glider...it took a lot of time to find ours!

And I would have cried about the linguine thing, too. Amazing what these hormones do to us.

Heather said...

Wanted to let you know I nominated you for an award on my blog. You can go there for the details!!!

KandiB said...

You're way ahead of us on the nursery. I picked out a blanket and bumpers, and the rest has yet to come. It still looks like an office in there!

I'll back you up on the pasta front. Sometimes you just want what you want and there's nothing that will take its place! Happy ICLW.

Liv said...

I love the crib, it looks great so far. The bit about the pasta made me laugh...

I read your ICLW intro, and see that you've had quite the road so far. I wish the best for you, your husband and your baby. Congrats!

ICLW

M said...

I am so excited for you and C. You always did have an eye for decorating and the lastest trends...whether it was your room or your pinned pants.=) I can't wait to see the finished product, baby and all!
All my love....M

I Believe in Miracles said...

You had me laughing out loud with this one. LOVE IT. It's amazing what those little hormones do.

I can't wait to see the nursery all done up.

~~HUGS~~