Friday, September 12, 2008

Can Infertility Be Funny?

First, I have to thank everyone that dropped-by from Lost and Found to share their experiences with blood thinners during pregnancy. Your thoughts, comments and well-wishes were so kind! You each gave me a different perspective, and I’m so grateful for your insight. Thanks!

I was scheduled to meet with my RE, Dr. D today. However, when I arrived at her office, the receptionist informed me that it was a “procedure” day at clinic and that Dr. D was running an hour behind schedule. She asked if C. and I would mind meeting with the other (male) RE at the practice. Not wanting to keep C. or myself away from work for too long, I reluctantly agreed. I had prepped for the meeting by typing-up a list of questions about timing intercourse, BBT, ovulation, progesterone shots and blood thinners.

While we were trying to keep ourselves entertained to pass the time, C. jokingly told me to put the pens and reproductive models in my purse…so we at least had something tangible to show for our visit! We waited about 25 minutes for new RE (Dr. C) and his nurse practitioner to join us in the room. Compared to my uber-professional and matter-of-fact Dr. D, new RE was soooooooo laid back. (Almost TOO laid-back, in my opinion, but maybe that’s just my Type A self talking.) I presented my list of questions to mister new RE, and for dramatic effect, I’ve included an excerpt of the ensuing conversation here:

Me: I’d like to know your opinion/suggestions on timing of sex during my cycle. Every day before ovulation? Every other day?

Dr. C: Hmmm…how about we ask C. how often he’d like to have intercourse? (ha, ha)

C: I regularly donate plasma and I’m wondering if I should refrain from doing that while we’re TTC. What do you think?

Dr. C: Not unless donating makes you too tired to perform. (ha, ha)

Me: Do you have the results of any of the blood tests that were preformed by Dr. Hemo last week? Do you have a copy of my lipid panel results?

Dr. C: Ahhhh. Ummmm. (looks over at NP as if she's supposed to know how to answer this) All of the labs other than the Factor V were normal? Right? Your lipid panel looks really great…you should hang it up on your fridge.

For the majority of the visit, the NP stared blankly across the room. I figured I was pretty boring stuff compared to the baby-making lab and IVF patients. She didn't seem interested in me or my concerns in the least. Mister new RE finished the conversation by pointing to my notes and saying: “Did we answer all of those?” I felt like a moron. Again, maybe it was just my hyper-organized, strong-willed, Type A personality kicking-in, but I was annoyed!

We left his office after about a 15 minute conversation. I then enjoyed a yummy lunch with my sweet hubby and went immediately back to work and emailed Dr. D my unanswered questions. I am thanking God that I was paired with her for the diagnosis of my Müllerian anomaly and thrombophilia. I don’t believe that our meeting was an accident.

In non-fertility related news, C. finished his 5K in 28 minutes last weekend and brought home a snazzy medallion. He also ran the 1K kid’s run with my 6 year-old niece. Too cute! He’s headed to a NFL football game with the guys this weekend, leaving me and “Monkey” (one of our misc. names for Duke) home on our own. I’m actually looking forward to the time sans husband, and a chance to finally enjoy a clean house! I may tackle some minor interior touch-up painting if I’m feeling ambitious on Saturday. Other than that, I’m going to start my caffeine detox and sleep lots (one of my mostest favorite things to do!).

T-minus 4 days until the “official” baby making extravaganza begins. And you’d better believe I’m ready! What do you think…am I’m prepared enough?!

Thanks again to all who take the time to read and comment…have a peaceful weekend!

5 comments:

sara said...

You conversation with the partner of the regular RE left me laughing - isn't it crazy how different some approaches are? I'm glad you like your regular doctor and we initially paired with him. Like you said - I do think that sometimes things happen for a reason. I love my OB and often feel the same way- I feel like maybe things happen for a reason. Your picture is too funny as well! I hope you have a restful weekend, catch some zzzsssssssss, and that this month is the month for you! Thank you for all of the good thoughts lately - now it's my turn to send some your way :-)

sara said...

oppsss I meant to say was initially paired with not "we initially"

Megs said...

Sorry to hear your appointment wasnt the greatest. I think that would be a little too laid back for me too. My doctor is pretty laid back, but definitely not like that. Was he kind of geeky?? Just a guess...lol.

Good luck with the extravaganza! And I think I would definitely say you are prepared!

Hope2morrow said...

That doctor sounds like a quack. I laughed hearing your story and wonder how some people prefer that kind of doctor. I'm too Type A for those kinds of responses.

Take care!

I Believe in Miracles said...

Dr. C sounds crazy!! Or at least for me... I want more straight forward answers.

You totally look majorly prepared. Love the picture.

Hannah's Hope is in the mail... any chance you're going to email me my questions soon???

***HUGS***