
This is the last month I want to have to use any of these for a very, very long time!
AF arrived today (CD 31)…and I couldn’t be happier. This is the start of our first "official" TTC cycle after our loss in May. I just ordered ovulation monitors and early pregnancy tests and the Pr.eSe.ed that was suggested by our RE. I’d highly recommend this website for ordering cheap HPT in bulk…great prices and free shipping. It still doesn’t feel real that after all of our medical tests, we’re actually going to be “doing this”...playing for keeps! My last pregnancy, although we weren’t actively preventing, wasn’t really planned. But after the loss and subsequent testing, I mentally feel like I’m in a good place right now. I’m ready for this. I want this more than ever. I’m ready to FIGHT for a baby.
I had my first appointment with Dr. Hemo yesterday. It was an exhausting medical marathon that included bounding from office to pharmacy to lab and to pharmacy and back to office again. In total, we were at the hospital for over three hours. Dr. Hemo sat with C. and I and took nearly five pages of notes on everything from my early medical background to my cousin’s and aunt’s and uncle’s family histories to noting details from each of my losses and mental health status. He was very reassuring and hopeful that our new protocol will be successful. I’ve been given strict orders to drink NO…ZERO…ZIP…alcohol (Booo!), avoid ibuprofen/naproxen, and scale-back my daily supplement regimen (only allowed a pre-natal multi and baby aspirin for now). From this point on, whenever I travel, I have to get up at least once every hour and walk around. If I plan to be on a flight lasting longer than three hours, I have to take prophylactic blood thinning shots. Hmmm…what else am I forgetting?
He informed me that my insurance “isn’t very good at all” when it comes to covering the meds I’ll need during pregnancy. Groan. Unfortunately, insurance only covers a small portion of the cost of the blood thinner Lov.enox, meaning we would have to pay $500/month out-of-pocket if I choose to use that brand. On the other hand, insurance does cover He.parin. Dr. Hemo called Hep.arin the “K.Mart brand.” Hep.arin is a 2x's daily shot versus 1x daily with the Lov.enox. So over the course of a 40 week pregnancy (God willing!) that would be 560 shots in my stomach versus 280. Big difference, right?! It's also appealing to use Lov.enox because of the pre-loaded syringes. So the million dollar question I pose to my fellow clotting mutants is this:
Is there a big difference (besides dosing) with Lov and Hep? Would I be wise to spend the additional money out-of-pocket for the Lov? What kind of experiences have you had with Lov versus Hep?
My hemo is prescribing a dose of 50mg 2x's daily of Hep as soon as I have a positive HPT. It’s very apparent that he wants to be proactive about my treatment. Yipeee for Dr. Hemo! I’ve been advised to call his office within an HOUR of a positive HPT. I have a standing-order at the pharmacy for my blood thinners, and I’ll be doing bi-weekly or weekly blood draws for the first few months. The nurse went through all of the do's and don'ts of how to fill syringes and proper injection protocol. It all felt so surreal. We're really going to do this?!
C. and I will meet with Dr. D (my RE) next Friday the 12th to go over final details. According to Fertility Friend, I can expect to ovulate somewhere around the 18th. Hopefully. My chart was all over the place last month. Maybe it was because I wasn’t very consistent about taking my temps? I'm hopeful that I’ll have success with the ovulation monitors I ordered. Any tips/tricks to share with me?

Before I sign-off for the weekend, I want to send some love to my hubby. He's running a 5K this weekend...one that we ran together last year at this time. I'm sad that he'll be running without me, but I'll be there cheering him on! Love you honey! And to all my fellow IF'ers in the blogosphere...have a fantastic weekend! *hugs*
AF arrived today (CD 31)…and I couldn’t be happier. This is the start of our first "official" TTC cycle after our loss in May. I just ordered ovulation monitors and early pregnancy tests and the Pr.eSe.ed that was suggested by our RE. I’d highly recommend this website for ordering cheap HPT in bulk…great prices and free shipping. It still doesn’t feel real that after all of our medical tests, we’re actually going to be “doing this”...playing for keeps! My last pregnancy, although we weren’t actively preventing, wasn’t really planned. But after the loss and subsequent testing, I mentally feel like I’m in a good place right now. I’m ready for this. I want this more than ever. I’m ready to FIGHT for a baby.
I had my first appointment with Dr. Hemo yesterday. It was an exhausting medical marathon that included bounding from office to pharmacy to lab and to pharmacy and back to office again. In total, we were at the hospital for over three hours. Dr. Hemo sat with C. and I and took nearly five pages of notes on everything from my early medical background to my cousin’s and aunt’s and uncle’s family histories to noting details from each of my losses and mental health status. He was very reassuring and hopeful that our new protocol will be successful. I’ve been given strict orders to drink NO…ZERO…ZIP…alcohol (Booo!), avoid ibuprofen/naproxen, and scale-back my daily supplement regimen (only allowed a pre-natal multi and baby aspirin for now). From this point on, whenever I travel, I have to get up at least once every hour and walk around. If I plan to be on a flight lasting longer than three hours, I have to take prophylactic blood thinning shots. Hmmm…what else am I forgetting?
He informed me that my insurance “isn’t very good at all” when it comes to covering the meds I’ll need during pregnancy. Groan. Unfortunately, insurance only covers a small portion of the cost of the blood thinner Lov.enox, meaning we would have to pay $500/month out-of-pocket if I choose to use that brand. On the other hand, insurance does cover He.parin. Dr. Hemo called Hep.arin the “K.Mart brand.” Hep.arin is a 2x's daily shot versus 1x daily with the Lov.enox. So over the course of a 40 week pregnancy (God willing!) that would be 560 shots in my stomach versus 280. Big difference, right?! It's also appealing to use Lov.enox because of the pre-loaded syringes. So the million dollar question I pose to my fellow clotting mutants is this:
Is there a big difference (besides dosing) with Lov and Hep? Would I be wise to spend the additional money out-of-pocket for the Lov? What kind of experiences have you had with Lov versus Hep?
My hemo is prescribing a dose of 50mg 2x's daily of Hep as soon as I have a positive HPT. It’s very apparent that he wants to be proactive about my treatment. Yipeee for Dr. Hemo! I’ve been advised to call his office within an HOUR of a positive HPT. I have a standing-order at the pharmacy for my blood thinners, and I’ll be doing bi-weekly or weekly blood draws for the first few months. The nurse went through all of the do's and don'ts of how to fill syringes and proper injection protocol. It all felt so surreal. We're really going to do this?!
C. and I will meet with Dr. D (my RE) next Friday the 12th to go over final details. According to Fertility Friend, I can expect to ovulate somewhere around the 18th. Hopefully. My chart was all over the place last month. Maybe it was because I wasn’t very consistent about taking my temps? I'm hopeful that I’ll have success with the ovulation monitors I ordered. Any tips/tricks to share with me?

Before I sign-off for the weekend, I want to send some love to my hubby. He's running a 5K this weekend...one that we ran together last year at this time. I'm sad that he'll be running without me, but I'll be there cheering him on! Love you honey! And to all my fellow IF'ers in the blogosphere...have a fantastic weekend! *hugs*


11 comments:
Yeah!! Great news. I'm crossing fingers for you.
I ordered Hannah's Hope, but it won't be shipping until Sept 22... so definately up for a study next month??
Good luck to your hubby and happy weekend.
**HUGS**
I hope you have a wonderful weekend. So glad to hear your Dr. is being so proactive. I wish you the best. Enjoy your weekend. And thanks for the kind words...not really sure what I would do if I couldnt vent here in blogosphere. :)
Hmm, do you take your temps at all different times? I do too because I wake up at all different times. I'm guessing you o'ed on the 17th? I haven't used monitors yet, I just go by CM and how I feel. Good luck this month!
Temp-charting stinks. You are supposed to take your temp every morning at the same time, without so much as lifting your head off the pillow. Be consistent, but I will tell you that there are still months that your cycles will look crazy, even if you have done everything correctly.
I know nothing about those shots, but my two cents would be to take the Heparin shots and out all the money you would save off to the side. Then late use that money for a getaway weekend trip, a new baby, or something fun to do since you saved cash. Just my two cents though- again- knowing nothing about those meds. However, if those meds. are taken IM, go with the Lovenox to keep from being so sore!
Hey girl! Fellow mutant here. As you know, I'm on Lov.enox, but never have tried the hep. My doc heavily suggested spending the extra dough for the prefilled syringes, and once a day convenience. But I pay $180 a month for my prescription, not $500... I have to say, no matter what you choose, you'll get in a routine with it and it will be no big deal in the meantime. And my guess is you could start with one and switch to the other if you changed your mind (?). One aspect I would ask your doc about though is that hep is generic, and I did read a few months back about some of it being tainted coming from China. Wonder if a pharmacy could guarantee for you where it was made. Lov.enox is not generic, and it is made in France, I'm pretty sure.
Another thing I might ask is this: my doc had me starting the shots the day after ovulation, rather than waiting for the ppt because he wanted to insure implantation was not affected by the clotting. I have heard of plenty of successful blood thinner pregnancies with starting when you will, but maybe something to ask about? You know I'm full of assvice. :)
I am excited for you to start this journey! It was so scary at first, but I am so grateful to be on the cusp of the second trimester this week! I am hoping and wishing for the same for you, babe!!
Wow- they gave you a ton of info to go over! I'm sorry that something that is so simple for some is so darn complicated for a sweetie like you! I'm hoping that someone through lost and found can help with the lovenox / heparin info for you. I'm familiar with giving both to patients at work - but I'm less familiar as to the use with pregnancy and if there is a big difference other than the things you brought up. So I'll pass it along and hopefully someone will chime in for you. I'm so excited that you're getting started with things, and it sounds like Dr Hemo guy is awesome. It's great that they are being proactive and coming up with a definite plan for you - I'm hoping that this is the start of many great things to come! Hugs...
Coming over from LFCA. I am using Lovenox during pregnancy. Have been using since 3 dpo and am now in week 18 of my first pregnancy (had one chemical before this) after over 2 years of fertility treatments. The blood thinners were the key for me. Using them to treat alloimmunity. Have not used Heparin, but I believe my doc will be switching me to it at some point b/c it cycles out of your system more quickly. You don't want blood thinners in your system when you go into labor b/c they make c-section unsafe and most anesthesiologists will not give you an epidural. Not that I want either of those things, but I want the option.
Hi, Anyone on Lovenox had to get switched between 36 and 38 weeks to Heparin because f half life.
I am on Heparin because it is way cheaper. As for 2 shots a day vs. one it is really no biggie, they are easy and not painful if you do not get the tye in the glass tube. the usual type in a vial is just simple, all you do is draw it up and then give the shot.
My doc said it would be a waste of my money since Lovenox is not covered by insurance and the Heparin is soooo cheap.
Good luck.
I took heparin during my pregnancy. The shots really weren't bad. The needle is tiny tiny (insulin syringe)-- I think the heparin injections are actually supposed to be less uncomfortable than lovenox. It was pretty painless and it's easy to fill the syringes, so I didn't feel like there was a big convenience trade-off. Also, it's so much more impressive to have 500+ syringes to show off (kidding!) As a previous poster mentioned, if you do use lovenox, you'll switch to heparin for a few weeks.
I was put on heparin at ovulation and then was switched to Lovenox when I changed from my RE to a regular OB/GYN. At 37 weeks I will be switching back to heparin because it comes out of your system so much faster than Lovenox (and that is ideal for birth). I dread the switch - but only because of the inconvenience of the heparin (giving myself a shot in the bathroom of a restaurant or at the movies is a little annoying). I've read people say that the Lovenox burns more than the heparin - but it seems so long ago now that I can barely remember. The drawing it up, etc., is no biggie and really, the fact that I have given myself shots for so long now has made me feel pretty empowered! Good luck!
Good luck! I think my ClearBlue Easy Fertility Monitor was worth every penny. This month it was so easy, after wondering since the Clomid debacle. You just have to remember to hit CD 1 when it happens.
Post a Comment