After the procedure, I sat with Dr. D and discussed the findings. She is fairly certain that my uterus is indeed, bicornuate. My only regret is that I wish I would have come prepared with more questions! I guess I just assumed that they were going to find a septum, so I didn’t bring all my research with me. Being the worrier that I am, I emailed Dr. D yesterday around 8 p.m. with some questions I had about the saline sonogram done on Wednesday.
Get this...SHE called me back this afternoon with answers. Not her nurse...not some random office staff member...HER! She gave me the option of doing an MRI to confirm the diagnosis, but at this point, she said she's about 99 percent sure that my uterus is bicornuate. The only 100% certainty would be to do surgery, and in her words "it would be a lot of risk without much return." She also said we can request a 2nd opinion from Mayo or the U of Michigan if that would put my mind at ease. This made me conclude that my RE officially ROCKS! But I really need to know...should I pursue an MRI or laporoscopy? Help!


On a lighter note, we’ve been watching Rex (the puppy on the left), Duke’s younger brother, this week. I posted both pictures because it was a major undertaking to get them to "sit" next to one another! Rex belongs to my sister and her husband. The “boys” went to doggy-swim at the park last night. Our local parks and recreation group holds the event on the night before they close the pools for the season, as a fundraiser for a local dog park. It was a blast! If it ends-up that I cannot have kids, I want to fill our home with doggies...no doubt!


7 comments:
I feel your pain with the HSG. Mine was horrific also! And the fact that they wouldnt let hubby come back with...really ticked me off.
Glad you have found a wonderful RE who takes the time to answer your questions. I feel like I have also been blessed with an excellent RE. He is absolutely wonderful!
And filling the house with doggies if there arent any kiddos...I totally agree 100%! Except ours will probably be all Great Danes :). Which in turn will probably rule the roost, like Blaze pretty much does now :)
By the way, I really appreciate all of your comments! It's great to see them! Thanks!!
Look at those cute doggies! Always brings a smile to my face :-) I'm so glad the saline sono wasn't painful and your doctor sure seems like you have found a great one! I did have a MRI to confirm my UU, but only because my insurance covered it. If yours does, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. It's noninvasive and just one more confirmation. But that's just my very limited advice. Hope you're having a great weekend!
Hi Mel --
I hope you enjoy the book. I'm about to read it again (to pay more attention and think more about application) so if you want to do an add-hoc book club, I'd be game.
I'm glad the sono went better. Mine wasn't painful either and I went straight to work afterwards.
Since I don't know much about bicornuate, I don't really want to weigh in too much, but I would echo Sara - if a MRI is covered by insurance, I'd go for it. Although your RE does sound completely wonderful, did she talk about options from there? Did you talk to other people with a similar diagnosis on what they did?
I totally hear you with a house of dogs!! I've been looking on petfinder and craigslist for dogs for a LONG time - wanting to bring our pup a playmate. But hubby is far more nervous about it. He says 2 is a lot of work. The only thing that stops me is trying to figure out care for our dog on vacation is already hard. Trying to figure out care for two would be harder.
**BIG HUGS**
Something tells me you had to put a treat on your head to get those puppies to be so agreeable! lol
I don't know a heck of a lot about uni- or bi-cornuates, but I know I have read that an MRI is the gold standard of getting a good look at one. So, I guess my question to the doc would be whether or not *she* wants to do one-- if seeing it would help her in any way. Would seeing it more clearly help her decide how to treat you?
And what is her plan? Surgery to remove it or just leave it alone? And what's her plan to treat the factor 5? Um, ok... going to back away from the nosiness now!!! ha ha
I would definitely get the MRI. Really the lap/hyst is the best, but MRI is non-invasive and has a good track record. BE SURE to request a copy of the images to yourself, because you it is imperative that it is read by a radiologist who knows the difference between a BU ans SU.
I had a great RE too and she was SURE I was BU. I wasn't. It is just one if those better safe than sorry things. Septums cause a lot of heartache and ultimately prolong ttc considerably. Be 100% sure, not 99%!
Good luck... and glad to hear you are one step closer to an answer.
m
Sounds like the ladies about gave some great advice. Guess I'll add my own even though I know nothing about bicornate uteruses... do what makse you feel best. If you can live with the 99% diagnosis, then go with that. if you know you won't be able to sleep or rest until you know 100%, then it is worth the extra test.
Through some of this IF stuff I have learned to go with my gut and my heart.
Love the dogs pics! They are such wonderful company; I have no clue what I would do without my two.
I think I agree with everyone that you should err on the side of caution, unless you feel comfortable with what Dr. D is saying. I understand her reluctance to do surgery, though. Maybe the MRI is the best bet?
Your doggies are yummy! I wish we had a doggy swim day here, that sounds too fun. Are you considering getting a second pup? :)
Post a Comment