I have been buried at work this week…hence my neglect of blogging and commenting. And for that, I’m really sorry faithful blogger buddies!I’m still undecided about further diagnostics to confirm my BU/SU status. C. believes that we should trust Dr. D’s opinion, and move forward with the hematologist and *hopefully* get the green light to go ahead and start trying again with blood thinners and baby aspirin. However, to leave my options open, I’ve requested my medical records from the hospital that did my D and C’s (HSG, pathology, ultrasounds) and I’m planning to send all of this information off for a second opinion. I think I’ve come to the conclusion that I don’t want to have any what-if's left on the table for future attempts. It would break my heart to know there was something, be it ever so slight, that I could have done to increase the likelihood of a viable pregnancy. I don’t think I could live with that.
I also forgot to mention that Dr. D ordered about nine bazillon different blood tests when I was in for my saline sono last week. I donated 12 vials (Yes, 12!) vials of blood. Can you say arm turning blue and numb from the tourniquet?! I really appreciated how proactive she wanted to be with my treatment. She explained that many of the blood tests that Dr. Hemo would order had to be sent-off to the Mayo Clinic labs for processing, and the results usually come back within two weeks. Dr. D also explained that she couldn't promise that she'd cover every test Dr. Hemo needed, but that it would be a good start and would eliminate another two week wait after my appointment in September. I’m still waiting to hear-back on those results. She also asked if I’d like to have my and C.’s chromosomes analyzed, and I thought, why not, right?! These were her exact words: “With both a uterine anomaly and a congenital blood clotting disorder, it would be highly unlikely for you to have a chromosomal condition too.” I wanted to say, just wait lady, the lab is going to come back and say: “Ummm…yeah…this ‘woman’ has an exact chromosomal match to a cat.”
In other matters and gripes, I really thought I liked living in a college town. But now that we live in a neighborhood between a major university and a smaller, liberal arts college (my alma mater!), I’m finding myself annoyed by the increased foot traffic, increased vehicle traffic, increased noise and the onslaught of hootchie-mama attire parading past our house! I asked C. if the level of my annoyance means I’m getting old…and the answer was a resounding YES! I’m only 6 years removed from my college experience, and already I have an intolerance for loud teens and early twenty-somethings. Eeeeek! The only redeeming aspect: we live in a climate where the girls HAVE to dress in layers once November/December rolls around.
*~ *~ *~ *~ *~ *~ *~ *~ *~ *~ *~ *~ *~ *~ *~ *~ *~ *~ * ~* ~*
As I mentioned in one of my first posts, C. and I purchased a home that was already all decked-out with a little kid’s room. I figured we’d leave it as-is for a year and redecorate once we added little ones to our clan. However, after our loss, having to look at the room and its contents makes me really sad. It houses the changing table my mom bought us even before we were “trying” for kiddos (I thanked her for the nice “book shelf”), an exer.saucer, baby tub and baby swing inherited from my in-laws and my childhood stuffed animals, books and quilts.


My unworn maternity clothes still hang in that closet, price tags yet to be removed. The lullaby CDs, ultrasound frame, baby books and "Expecting" Willo.w Tree An.gel are stuffed into a plastic bin…out of sight, out of mind?

For now, I just shut the door, and try to forget what it looks like and all that it contains. It is my strongest desire and deepest hope that we get to open that (literal and figurative) door in the very near future.
Finally, a few shout-outs before I sign-off for the weekend:
Go congratulate A Maybe Story on the purchase of her new house…which, by the way, I’m totally envious of!
And if you haven't already, go give Meredith some love…she’s on bedrest in the hospital and needs your encouragement.


4 comments:
Wow. This is a heavy post. I've often want to get friends cast-offs - pack n play, etc. but am fearful to collect anything ahead of time. And for this reason - seeing it. My heart goes out to you. I will admit though - the room is super cute!!
Mel, you totally MADE MY NIGHT with your comment yesterday. It makes me so happy. I really hope you like the book. Let me know if you think other questions should come out of there too. Ch 2 is coming. I've read it once and highlighted. I just need to figure out what to say.
I was great amused by your college kid post. We were shocked lately at how much bra is showing lately. In London we saw some girls with their shirts open and you could see their bra completely. Or a dark blue bra under a white shirt. Seriously? Who is finding that attractive?
I'm sorry about your blood draws! No fun. I think they've taken 8 vials from me at the most. It's almost like you gave blood. :o)
Hope you have a great weekend!!
**BIG HUGS**
What an insightful post. I hope that door is open for you soon. I haven't read all of your history yet, but I'm getting there.
But about that party you went to with the mom's all saying that your husband would make a great father, I TOTALLY get that. It's so hard not to tell people what you're really thinking. Hang in there!
I think you are *very* wise to get a second opinion on your case. After my second m/c my a-hole OB did an HSG, the chromosomal blood work, and a couple of other tests and deemed me "healthy". I knew in my heart something was (obviously) wrong, and we suffered the third loss needlessly.
There is so much worry in pregnancy after losses, best to start off on the best footing you can, with the most confidence you can muster. You are so proactive and smart! **big big hug**
*hugs*
Post a Comment