Saturday, June 6, 2009

39 weeks and 1 day

Single digits?! How is it possible that I'm only 6 days away from my due date?! I look back over the past year and I'm awed and amazed at where we've come from.

I've reverted back to scrutinizing every single symptom my body has...cramping, twinges, bathroom habits, pressure, random bodily fluids, baby's position and movement. Helllooo....2 week wait all over again! Just when I think: "I can't possibly be any more uncomfortable!" My body surprises me with a new ache, pain or strain. My mantra for the past couple of weeks has been: It's all temporary!

I saw Dr. OB Thursday afternoon, and my stubborn cervix is still holding strong at about a 2 and I'm 60 percent effaced. He explained that theoretically we "could" choose to induce at this point, but because of the position of my cervix (still tucked way back behind baby's head) we'd be inducing into about a 50-50 chance of C-section. Baby Pat still looks fantastic on his weekly non-stress tests and my blood pressure (118/20) and weight (officially up 20 pounds!) indicate that I'm doing well, too. I think it would be difficult to justify the risk of major surgery, with my risk for clotting problems, when baby and mama are both doing well. Soooo...we decided to wait-it-out. For now. I see Dr. OB and have another NST on Tuesday. Hopefully we'll see some more progress at that stage. I think I've finally (maybe?) come to terms with the fact that I'm in control of NONE of this...and that scares the crap out of this Type A, control freak!

And yes...we've gotten ALL kinds of advice about bringing on labor. Eat spicy food. Take lots of long walks. Have bunches of crazy sex...and you've got to be kidding me with this one?! Squatting with and without a birthing ball. At my massage appointment yesterday, the therapist even gave me a chart of acupressure points on the ear that are supposed to bring on labor. I honestly think baby laughs at all my shenanigans and nestles in a little bit more snugly every time I even attempt to coax him out!

So for now, I'm still pregnant. And I know that it won't last forever. So I wait. And I clean. And of course, I worry. But above all, I enjoy the last few days of bladder jabs, rib kicks, 1 am flutters and hiccups because I know that they soon will become diaper changes, inconsolable wails and 2...4...6 am feedings. Please remind me why I want to rush this little guy out?!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You look great! And only 20 lbs-I'm jealous! Have you started to get non-stop phone calls yet from those well meaning relatives? That's driving me nuts! I seriously am considering changing my voicemail to "No, the baby hasn't come yet. I'm fine, DH is fine, baby is fine. If you need something else...leave a message."

Anonymous said...

Almost there!!!!! I can't wait to read the "big" post!

Heather said...

Wow! You look great!!! Hopefully the baby will decide it's time soon. I can't wait to see that post!.

Beautiful Mess said...

You are SO beautiful! Yes, all the pains and aches are all temporary. Soon, you won't even remember them. Yea the crazy sex thing may help induce labor, but really? Who feels like having sex being THAT pregnant?! Praying for a smooth delivery and a SHORT one.
*HUGS*

Megs said...

I am getting sooo excited for you!!! You look great by the way!!! Oh my goodness, only 6 days!!!

Courtney said...

You look amazing! I thought about you this weekend wondering if it's been your time yet. I agree with you, baby will come when baby was ready. I'm praying for your family and hoping for some good news this week!

M said...

Mel you look fabulous! I couldn't take my eyes off of your picture. Pregnancy just suits you so well! I can't put into words how excited and proud I am of you. All my love...your sis.