Sunday, October 5, 2008

Bathroom Shenanigans

Duke said he's really excited about our news. Can you tell? This is his very best "I'm a happy-dog" face:


Last night, we celebrated some of our family's October birthdays at my sister's house. I knew we'd be there past the time I needed to do my evening shot of hepa.rin, so I made sure to bring all the supplies with me. As C. and I tried to maneuver in the teeny little bathroom, he said "I sure hope they don't think we're trying to do 'it' in here!" The fact that I was practicing deep breathing to relax probably didn't help matters any either. I'm guessing that everyone wondered why we needed to be in there together...even though we tried to be as stealthy as possible! Ideally, we want to keep all of the news under-wraps for a few more weeks. (Although my mom is already in on the secret.)

8 of the 550+ shots of hep that I'll need during pregnancy are now in the books. So what have I learned about my protocol? My right side is much less sensitive to injections than my left. I have learned that it is very important to adequately ice before giving myself a shot. (One bruise where I didn't heed this rule is nearly the size of a tennis ball.) I've learned that I love sleeping-in even MORE than I thought was humanly possible. My shots have to be given at 8 and 8, so that meant crawling out of bed at 7:45 on Saturday and Sunday morning to ice, prep and shoot-up. I guess it's just good practice for actually having to wake with a child before noon on the weekends! I've also learned that C. would be a pretty darn cute male nurse.

I had my first beta and progesterone check on Thursday at 11 dpo. My beta was 20 and my progesterone was 18.5. The nurse said they usually like to see the progesterone closer to 20, so now I'm on once a day Crin.one along with 11,000 units of hep twice daily. I guess the true test will be tomorrow when I go back in for my second beta. I'm trying not to get too attached to this pregnancy just yet. Ugh. I hate how cold and callous that sounds. Is it possible for this feeling to pass before you actually have a happy, healthy baby in your arms?

Finally, thank you for all of the well-wishes that you sent after my last post! It just reinforces how absolutely amazing my blogger buddies are! Wishing you all a wonderful start to the week.

4 comments:

admin said...

It's ok to be cautious. It is an act of mental self-preservation. You'll know when you are ready and feeling safe enough to embrace this pregnancy. Give yourself time.

The shots sound dreadful, but worth it n the end:)
m

Courtney said...

I think one of the most stinky parts of IF is that we guard our hearts. Now in some cases, this is a good thing, but I agree, the joy that should come after a positive test is instead filled with fear and worry.
I'm praying for you and I can't tell you how much I want this to be your baby in a few months! Good luck!

Hope2morrow said...

My right side is less sensitive than my left too. HA!

Just a warning about how weird Crinone is... you can email me if you have any questions.

Can't wait for your next beta!

J Sweet said...

Betas sound good!

Is it weird that I want to kiss Duke right on his doggy chin? ? :)