A weekend away. Not too far away. But just far enough away from all of the memories floating around the house and feelings mulling around in my head that remind me of what we’re dealing with right now.
With all of the doctor’s appointments and long hours at work, C. and I haven’t taken the time we usually do during the summer months to go and enjoy the lake. We’re fortunate enough to share a summer place with C.’s brother and his family. This weekend, we said to heck with the mounds laundry and to heck with the lawn mowing for now…we’re packing up the dog and retreating to the lake.
The weather was perfect. I laid in the sun, took long walks with C. and Duke, ate really yummy (read *naughty*) food, napped, spent all day Saturday out on the lake and gave myself permission to NOT think about upcoming tests and appointments and all of the unknowns that seem to wash over me every waking hour when I’m at home.
C. was relaxed, loving and attentive. Growing up, his family would retreat to this cabin every weekend and being there gives him permission to regress back to those carefree days of swimming, boating and family…days before he even thought of who he’d marry…days before jobs and babies and a mortgage.
And Duke…he’s another story. He’s EXHAUSTING at the lake. He would dive off the dock after his “fris” all day and night if we’d allow it. He woke us up every 2-3 hours Saturday night with his infamous “nose whistling” technique, as if to say: “Is it morning yet? Huh? Huh? Mom? Dad? Can we go play? Huh? Huh? Can we? Can we?” Finally, at 8 am, we relented, and the swimming, diving and fris-tossing began.
It was a wonderful weekend, and I’m eternally grateful to my mom for sneaking over while we were away and tackling the piles of laundry that we had put-off. I love you, moomoo!
Finally, a very warm, heartfelt thanks to everyone who took time to comment on my questions about Factor V Leiden. It was a blessing to hear stories of women who, with proper treatment and care, have gone on to have healthy pregnancies and babies…even with this diagnosis. Thank you!
With all of the doctor’s appointments and long hours at work, C. and I haven’t taken the time we usually do during the summer months to go and enjoy the lake. We’re fortunate enough to share a summer place with C.’s brother and his family. This weekend, we said to heck with the mounds laundry and to heck with the lawn mowing for now…we’re packing up the dog and retreating to the lake.
The weather was perfect. I laid in the sun, took long walks with C. and Duke, ate really yummy (read *naughty*) food, napped, spent all day Saturday out on the lake and gave myself permission to NOT think about upcoming tests and appointments and all of the unknowns that seem to wash over me every waking hour when I’m at home.
C. was relaxed, loving and attentive. Growing up, his family would retreat to this cabin every weekend and being there gives him permission to regress back to those carefree days of swimming, boating and family…days before he even thought of who he’d marry…days before jobs and babies and a mortgage.
And Duke…he’s another story. He’s EXHAUSTING at the lake. He would dive off the dock after his “fris” all day and night if we’d allow it. He woke us up every 2-3 hours Saturday night with his infamous “nose whistling” technique, as if to say: “Is it morning yet? Huh? Huh? Mom? Dad? Can we go play? Huh? Huh? Can we? Can we?” Finally, at 8 am, we relented, and the swimming, diving and fris-tossing began.
It was a wonderful weekend, and I’m eternally grateful to my mom for sneaking over while we were away and tackling the piles of laundry that we had put-off. I love you, moomoo!
Finally, a very warm, heartfelt thanks to everyone who took time to comment on my questions about Factor V Leiden. It was a blessing to hear stories of women who, with proper treatment and care, have gone on to have healthy pregnancies and babies…even with this diagnosis. Thank you!


3 comments:
Yeah!! I'm so so SO glad to hear you had a great weekend and the opportunity to get away, relax, and rest up.
I love the Duke voice comments. I totally do that with our dog!! What's this? What's this? Got to pee. Got to pee. (From the farside comic)
Your mom sounds amazing!!
*BIG HUG*
I love your pooch! I think our furry babies would get along- ours is very energetic and just a wee bit naughty... :)
I hope you're feeling a little better about the F5 stuff. I was thinking the other day about how terrified I was after I got diagnosed. My doctor, K, our families- everyone was so thrilled because the doc was sure that was what had been causing all of my m/cs... but I was still unsettled to get any bad news about my health. Take your time, read a bunch, and then when you feel brave enough, you'll have a new protocol to try. I promise to be here for you if you have to start injections!
I'm so glad you had a moment away at the lake. Loved your photo of Duke - it's adorable, and I'm a sucker for doggie photos and stories! It is so cute that he wants you to get up and play early. My dog will whine at the bottom of the stairs to our bedroom if it's getting late on the weekend like "Hey mom - I'm hungry and bored come see me now!"
I'm glad you had a few moments not to think about appointments and the what not. For me at least, when I was going through testing and cycling they would occupy my mind 24 hours a day - I think I even dreamed about them! It's easy to say - try to stay busy and do other things, but when they consume so much of your life it sure is hard. At least that is what I found. Thanks for sharing the photos, glad you had a good weekend, and I hope that your days of cycling and testing are short!
Post a Comment